Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Touchdowns for Jesus


LOVE - The ultimate expression of God's loyalty, purity, and mercy extended toward his people - to be reflected in human relationships of brotherly concern, marital fidelity, and adoration of God.

You know, we go to church and study the Bible and talk about how we need to grow spiritually and then we go to work, come home, go shopping, come home, watch TV, type a blog and go to bed. yeah.

My job allows me the opportunity to speak with customers who are professional football players in the NFL from time to time. The other day I got to talk with a guy who is a wide receiver for a team that had a night game in New York this week. Apparently it was extremely cold outside and he did not play much during the game. He said he spent the whole game on the sideline trying to stay warmed up and wishing the clock would tick faster so he could go inside. He is in excellent physical condition, he plays well, he just wasn't in the game that night.

Sometimes I feel like I am living my life like that. I am working to be in excellent spiritual condition, I am building daily bible study habits, I am trying to pray regularly and doing my best to have God-centered thoughts in my head. I want to be ready for the opportunity to witness to someone or do something really special for someone in need. But I am not in the game most of the time.

I suspect many people who are Christians are going through the same thing. Fortunately for us all, we have been blessed with the holiday season. There are endless opportunities to do something special for the homeless or the sick or the poor. We can all join up in groups and go out and serve lunch at a homeless shelter, take Christmas presents to a needy family, sing Christmas carols in nursing homes. It is a great feeling to be able to give someone a smile and make their day a little brighter. I suppose the holiday season is similar to pre-season for NFL players. Everyone has a chance to be in the game and get their jerseys dirtied up. Everyone gets a shot to line up on the field and give their best.

But what is going to happen in January. Just about the time our New Years Resolutions fade away, so will our gumption to show love to our neighbors. I don't want to sit on the bench this year. I want to be out there scoring touchdowns for Jesus.

Do yourself a favor, take full advantage of the opportunities available to you to lend a hand to someone in need. Take time to buy the homeless guy something to eat. Hey you might even want to sit down with him and break bread together. Find a needy family that needs help in April just as much as December. Get out of your comfort zone.

Pray that you and I will both feel led to show love to our neighbors this Christmas and continue showing that love forever.

John 13:34-35 - (This is Jesus speaking to the disciples just after Judas left the upper room) So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL.