Sunday, December 16, 2007

Martha Stewart Towel Folding Technique


My friend tells me that he also sheds a tear during moments that you may not expect. That makes me feel better. I don't suppose, however, that he has mastered the art of towel folding as taught by Martha Stewart. Back in the Martha heyday, when she was hip with Oprah and Rosie and before the fashionable prison time and ankle bracelets, I happened to be watching an episode of the Martha Stewart Show with my wife. The topic while I was watching was the appropriate method for folding your towels. My towel folding method was handed down to me from my parents and I never dreamt that there could be an art to folding your towels. I now am learning that there are two widely accepted techniques: the Martha Stewart Method and the Military Method. I suppose I should have guessed as much. They both are dedicated to obtaining perfection and efficiency in all that they do.

Well, I am not ashamed to say that I latched on to the Martha Stewart Method. I mean, it didn't cost me anything to fold my towels like Martha Stewart and it did seem to free up a little shelf space in our tiny apartment linen closet. So I embraced the method. I fold towels, washcloths, dish rags, pillow cases, and cleaning rags in the same manner. It has been 5 to 6 years since I first saw that towel folding episode and I still habitually fold my towels properly, at least according to Martha.

Now, though, I am starting to be a bit concerned. Without even thinking, I abandoned my life long procedure for folding towels simply at the suggestion of a popular iconic figure in our society. On top of that I was faithful to learning and sticking by the new method. Why can't I do that with things in my life that actually matter. Things like studying the Bible on a regular basis. Daily pouring myself into the word of God. Perhaps I might even be able to change my thoughts and actions by continually and methodically being exposed to the Godly things. This sort of life would be described as a life in piety, which is a whole life lived in a relationship with a loving God.

This is one thing that I found from John Wesley concerning trying to live your life in accordance with God:
We not only allow, but earnestly contend, that there is no perfection in this life, which implies any dispensation from attending all the ordinances of God, or from doing good unto all men while we have time, though 'especially unto the household of faith.' We believe, that not only the babes in Christ, who have newly found redemption in his blood, but those also who are 'grown up into perfect men,' are indispensably obliged, as often as they have opportunity, 'to eat bread and drink wine in remembrance of Him,' and to 'search the Scriptures;' by fasting, as well as temperance, to 'keep their bodies under, and bring them into subjection;' and, above all, to pour out their souls in prayer, both secretly, and in the great congregation.

I suppose what he is saying is that though we will never be perfect we should always strive to live our lives as Jesus did.

Mark 12:28b-31 "..Of all the commandments which is the most important?" "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

I have recently been trying to develop my pietous methods. It really is helpful to surround yourself with Godly things; the music you listen to, the things you read, the shows you watch, the people with whom you spend your time. And possibly, the way you fold your towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL.