Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Daughter the Musical Prodigy


I suppose it is no surprise that I am the very proud father of two perfect little girls. I must tell you about my 4 year old, Emma. She is truly a genius. It is amazing to me how quickly she picks up on things. She can listen to a song a few times and before you know it, she can sing back the words to the song. Now, like all of us, she can get a word mixed up here and there. Like she used to sing "there's not a star in heaven that we can't beach." I love it when she does that, but eventully she figures that out and corrects herself.

Emma loves High School Musical. If you don't know what that is I will tell you. HSM at it is known by the serious Disney enthusiasts is a musical that is comparable to Grease, however, I believe it is geared more towards a younger crowd with no profanity whatsoever and maybe one scene with kissing. Very tame and actually has a good moral to the story.

Ok, so now you know. Emma (and Caitlin our 2 year old) love HSM. They love to watch the movies (there has been a sequel). They especially love to sing the songs and dance around the living room to the music. I have to admit, the music is pretty catchy and some of the kids acting in the movie are pretty good. My favorites are Ryan and Sharpay. They steal the show from Troy and Gabriella, the two main characters. Not that I am really in to it that much. I mean I would much rather be watching football or something like that. I have no control over the TV.

Ok, I really like it alot. I know, I know. Crying about opera songs, folding towels like Martha Stewart and thoroughly enjoying musicals. I really can't explain it.

Back to HSM and Emma. Emma really knows her HSM songs. She has the soundtracks and she knows all of the words. It amazes me how she can repeat words and phrases that most likely mean nothing to her, at least I hope they don't. Don't get me wrong the musical is very clean and family friendly, but I don't want my four year old having a thought in her head about being in love with some dreamy boy. I know that she doesn't and it is all very innocent. I am more concerned about her excellent ability to recall what she hears.

It seems as though we are at our best and our worst around our kids. I couldn't have been more happy and proud of my girls this past weekend at Disney World. But there are definitely times when everyone gets tired and Daddy makes an idiot out of himself by trying to make a point or draw the line on some issue. Is Emma rembering these things that I say and do at these times?

Why wouldn't she? Is she remembering when I say something stupid to someone driving like a maniac on the interstate (first of all she would tell me not to say stupid)? Is she listening as I express my disdain for the flowery male figure skater with a flair for drama on TV (OK, I did not turn on the figure skating and I really was not into it)? Is she listening when I say something about a presidential candidate, an Oklahoma State (or Texas or Florida State or USC) football player, a person who gets on my nerves or even her mom when an argument is happening?

Of course she is.

I was reading over something I had written a couple months ago.

Ephesians 4:29-32 (NLT) says this, Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

John 13:34-35 - (This is Jesus speaking to the disciples just after Judas left the upper room) So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.

When am I going to get it. It is so hard for me to be compassionate and loving to those who are hardest to love. I sometimes fail at being compassionate and loving to those who I love very much. It is not just affecting me and my attitude, it is being forced upon my daughter who is gathering everything she sees and hears.
I have to change.

Ephesians 5:15-17 (NLT) So be careful how you live, not as fools, but as those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days. Don't act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do.

I really like this verse in the NLT version:

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 - Always be joyful. Keep on praying. No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

Lord, I am sorry for not being the best example possible for my little girls. Let me shine your light to all and let my little girls do the same. Please let me use your Word as a reminder of how I should live my life, both in word and deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL.