Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Have you seen my....."



Anytime that I am driving to work and my phone rings I can automatically tell you the first five things that will be said, "Johnny, have you seen my." And then something that must be had in order for my lovely wife to proceed with her day is stated...car keys, wallet, cell phone, etc. Today, it was her brown sweater. You see, my wife and I are perfectly suited to each other. She at times cannot find things that are essential to her doing what she needs to do. She is so focused on what she is doing with our girls or with something she is trying to get accomplished that she might lose track of something that she will need later. I know it will sound as though I am trying to do some brown-nosing here, but what I am about to say is true and is one of things that makes her so special to me. My wife always knows where she is going, what she is trying to accomplish and what she wants to do. She may not know where she left her car keys, but she sure knows what she wants to accomplish for the day, and for her life.

Now for me, it is a completely different story. I have to work hard to remember what it is that I am trying to accomplish. I am not a complete idiot, but there are times when I can get sidetracked from getting sidetracked. I can get up an hour early for work and still walk in five minutes later than I would like to. But if you have lost something and I have seen it within the past month or so, I can pretty much tell you where it is. I have this very strange ability to remember seeing things especially if they are not in their normal place. I am not sure how I do it, but I can tell you right now that there are 2-3 pieces of mail in the passenger side door of our car that I have not had a chance to look at yet. My wife's sweater was hanging in the laundry room (actually it had fallen off of the hanger, but it was still in the laundry room). It really only works for my wife though. I can tell her where to find her watch, her phone, earrings, shoes, remote control (though even I can't remember where that goes sometimes).

I am not trying to brag about my memory. I am just amazed at how incredible God is. I can just see it, 12-13 years ago, God is setting up some future marriage matches and he finds the following biography cards.

Amy - beautiful, inside and out, always knows where she is going, very level headed, smarter than she thinks, slender, and sometimes can't find her wallet.

John - nice guy, doesn't have a clue where he is going or how he is going to get there, but knows that in the end he will be right where he needs to be, chubby, OCD.

God looks over the two cards. Hey these two know each other, maybe just maybe, Amy can straighten this guy out and the two of them can accomplish great things together. I'll make sure the kids get her looks and figure. He can at least keep track of where the car is parked.

Genesis 2:18-24 (NLT) - And the Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a companion who will help him." So the Lord God formed from the soil every kind of animal and bird. He brought them to Adam to see what he would call them, and Adam chose a name for each one. He gave names to all the livestock, birds and wild animals. But still there was no companion suitable for him. So the Lord God caused Adam to fall into a deep sleep. He took one of Adam's ribs and closed up the place from which he had taken it. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib and brought her to Adam. "At last!" Adam exclaimed. "She is part of my own flesh and bone! She will be called 'woman,' because she was taken out of man." This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.

I love the comments in my Bible about this passage. "God forms and equips men and women for various tasks, but all these tasks lead to the same goal - honoring God. Man gives life to the woman; woman gives life to the world. Each role carries exclusive privileges; there is no room for thinking that one sex is superior to the other."

So every time my phone rings on my way to work, I am so thankful for my wife. I am truly blessed that God matched us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL.